Saturday, September 1, 2012

You Always Hurt The Ones You Love

Whatever You Love
Louise Doughty
Fiction

Reading this book is like going on a roller coaster ride. There are ups and downs and surprises and sometimes you feel like screaming. I honestly never knew what to expect when I turned the page.

Whatever You Love is the story of Laura, a physiotherapist who lives in a small town in England with her young son and daughter. She’s separated from her husband, David, and he’s living with his girlfriend and newborn son. Then Laura gets the news that her daughter has died in a car accident. This starts the back and forth time shift, where we discover how Laura and David met and how their marriage disintegrated. As Laura struggles to deal with the loss of her daughter, she realizes David’s struggling, too, and they manage to reconnect.

I give props to Ms. Doughty because I started out hating David. Thought he was a complete ass and I actually wasn’t even sure I wanted to keep reading, that’s how much I hated him. But gradually my feelings towards him changed due to certain revelations. I also found the storyline to be a total downer, but I’m glad I forced myself to keep going. So many things happened that I wasn’t expecting and many characters turned out to be so different from what they were supposed to be. I don’t even really know how to explain how twisty-turny this book is without giving away too much.

I would recommend Whatever You Love to everyone. You will not be able to put it down, I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment