Monday, September 24, 2012

Prince Charming



Between the Lines
Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer
Teen Fiction

Normally, I don’t read teen fiction. I just can’t seem to get into it. But I adore Jodi Picoult and she wrote this novel with her daughter so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised.

Delilah is a shy fifteen-year old loner who loves to read. Her favorite story is called Between the Lines and is about a cowardly prince who must save his princess. One day, the prince, Oliver, starts talking back to Delilah. She’s confused and scared at first, then as she starts to fall in love with Oliver, they plot to get him out of the book and into her life. But first she must find the book’s author and convince her to rewrite the ending.

Okay, there is a lot of fantasy stuff in this book and normally I hate fantasy. But it worked here. I also liked Delilah and Oliver. I was mainly curious to see how the story would end, considering we were talking about book characters coming alive. But Picoult and Van Leer manage to do the impossible and neatly tie-up the ending. Of course, I still had questions but not as many as I thought I would. The book flowed smoothly, and the descriptions and characters were all great.

Teenagers will love this book, and it might even make a believer out of some adults, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment