Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fortune Teller



The House of Velvet and Glass
Katherine Howe
Fiction

This book started out really slow. So slow I almost abandoned it a few times. But I found myself interested in the love story and managed to stick with it until the end.

The House of Velvet and Glass is about the Allston family. Eldest daughter Sibyl is still reeling from the deaths of her mother and sister aboard the Titantic a few months ago. Her father closes himself off from everyone, and her younger brother has been kicked out of college. Then Sibyl notices the visions she begins to have, visions about her mother and sister and maybe even the future. Can she stop the people she loves from being hurt before they realize what’s happening?

There were also scenes with the mother and sister that I found non-relevant. I mean, we knew they were going to die, so those scenes had no point. I really liked Sibyl but can’t say I was drawn to anyone else. The ending was slightly disappointing, too, but I should know not to expect too much from a novel that doesn’t classify itself as a romance.

If you like Katherine Howe’s other book and you enjoy historical fiction, you might like this one. If not, skip The House of Velvet and Glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment