Saturday, September 29, 2012

Get Smart



The Know-It-All: One Man’s Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World
A.J. Jacobs
History/Memoir

A.J. Jacobs is hilarious. I read his other book, Drop Dead Healthy, and really liked it, so I decided to pick up his first book. I’m so glad I did because I had forgotten how laugh-out-loud funny he is.

The Know-It-All begins with Mr. Jacobs telling us how he suddenly realizes how much information he has forgotten over the years and how his head is filled with all sorts of trivial crap now. Then a brilliant idea comes to him. Why not read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica set? He does so, over the course of a year, and each letter gets a chapter where he drops interesting information and talks about what’s going on in his life.

In theory, it sounds boring but Mr. Jacobs makes it very worthwhile reading. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys humor and learning new things. You will laugh and expand your brain power. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment