Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Killing Me Softly

Little Night
Luanne Rice
Fiction

Luanne Rice is Anne Rice’s daughter. Did anyone know that? Me either, until a few years ago. Anyway, I’d seen Luanne Rice’s books around and thought to myself that they seemed like the kind I would like so I should pick one up, but I just never managed to do it. Then I saw her newest on the library shelf, read the description, and figured now was the time.

Little Night is about Clare, a woman who was released from prison not that long ago. She attacked her sister’s husband and was put away thanks to the testimony from her sister and brother-in-law. Clare gets a letter from her niece asking if she can stay with Clare awhile. As they grow closer, Clare can’t stop wondering if her sister, Anne, misses her as much as Clare misses her sister. Then her niece has an accident and they both think Anne is in New York, but they’re not sure.

Okay, that was a pretty awful description of the book, I’ll admit it. But there were so many weird moments and WTF plot twists that I could only shake my head. I kept waiting for something to happen and the tension was there, but it just never materialized. I mean, I liked all of the characters (except Anne) and the writing was great. But I never quite believed Anne’s motivations for staying with her abusive husband, and Anne never explained herself, either.

If you’re a fan of Luanne Rice you’ll probably like this book. If you’re not, I would not start with this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment