Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bad Timing

Souvenir
Therese Fowler
Fiction

I read Therese Fowler’s most recent book, Reunion, awhile ago (in fact, I reviewed it on this blog) and I liked her writing style so I decided to check out her first novel. I’m sorry I did.

Souvenir is a clusterfuck of a book. So much goes on that it’s a little mind-boggling. The novel begins with main character Meg sneaking off to see her ex-boyfriend for one last roll of the dice before she gets married. Then we flash forward to present day where Meg’s a doctor, still married, and has a daughter who might be her ex’s or might be her husband’s (she’s never bothered to get a DNA test done). Meg notices that her arms have been feeling numb a lot and soon, she’s diagnosed with ALS. Then her ex comes back to town and Meg must decide how she wants to live the rest of her life.

I really had no problem with any of the characters, but no one pulled me in especially hard. Meg was kind of blah, Carson (the ex) was, too, and Savannah (the daughter)’s plot of meeting a guy online and becoming invovled with him was boring. Also, the end annoyed me. I knew there wouldn’t be a good ending, but it still sucked.

If you don’t mind all sorts of weird plot twists and WTF-ery, go ahead and pick up Souvenir. Otherwise, don’t bother.


No comments:

Post a Comment