Thursday, September 6, 2012

You Drive Me Crazy

Blue Asylum
Kathy Hepinstall
Fiction

This is one of those books where you can tell from the writing style and overall tone that someone is going to die by the end. Most likely a character you grow to care about. But I took a chance and kept reading, hoping I would be wrong. Alas, I was not.

Blue Asylum is the story of Iris, the wife of a plantation owner in the deep South. She tried to leave her husband by fleeing with his slaves but he caught up with her and convinced a jury she’s crazy, so Iris is sent to an asylum with a doctor who can supposedly work wonders. While plotting her escape, she falls in love with another patient named Ambrose. He’s at the asylum after being traumatized fighting in the Civil War. But can Iris’ love really save Ambrose? Or will he give in to his demons once they’re free?

I really liked all the characters. Iris, especially, was great, as was Ambrose. And I fell in love with Wendell, the doctor’s son. This was definitely a dark novel, though. Not very many happy-go-lucky moments, although scenes between Wendell and his father usually made me smile. The ending is bittersweet, but in a good way.

I would recommend this book. It’s a quick, interesting read.


No comments:

Post a Comment