Monday, September 17, 2012

Education Connection

The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling
Quinn Cummings
Memoir

I read parts of Quinn Cummings’ first memoir (my mom had checked it out from the library and I picked it up one night and skimmed a few chapters). I remember finding her pretty funny and a good writer. So when I heard about this book, I knew I wanted to add it to my list.

The Year of Learning Dangerously describes what happens when Ms. Cummings decides to home school her daughter for a year. She goes into all the research she did, how she scheduled her daughter’s days, and all the ups and downs they both went through struggling to adjust to their new routine. I don’t have kids yet, so the thought of homeschooling has never even occurred to me, but after reading this book, I’m fairly sure I won’t be tackling it. Ms. Cummings does an admirable job and her research and history of homeschooling truly is fascinating.

Anyone who is interested in homeschooling or in education in general will like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment