Saturday, September 15, 2012

Back to the Future

Where We Belong
Emily Giffin
Fiction

I read Ms. Giffin’s first novel, Something Borrowed, a few years ago. I really liked it. Then I read all her other books and thought I liked them. Until I read her new one and realized, no, I don’t actually like her all that much.

Where We Belong is the story of Marian and Kirby. Eighteen years ago, Marian secretly gave birth to Kirby and then gave her up for adoption. Now, as Kirby is about to graduate from high school, she ponders what to do with her life and wonders if she can get some answers from her birth mother. So she shows up on Marian’s door. Things are uneasy at first but the two women quickly bond. When Marian admits to Kirby that she never told Kirby’s father about her, they set off to go find him.

Sounds interesting, right? Well, it was. Sort of. I mean, the bonding bewteen Kirby and Marian was nice, as was Marian and Kirby’s family adjusting to having new people in their lives. I was most excited about Marian and Kirby meeting Kirby’s father, and that was good, too. But Giffin teases the idea of Marian and Conrad (Kirby’s father) reuniting and then leaves the viewers wondering if they manage to do so at the end. I hate vague endings. I wanted them to start over and get back together. Other than that, the book was good.

If you’re a fan of Emily Giffin, you’ll probably like this book. If you’re not and you loathe open-ended endings like me, skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment