Saturday, September 8, 2012

Hurt Me Tomorrow

A Silence of Mockingbirds: The Memoir of a Murder
Karen Spears Zacharias
Memoir/True Crime

I'm not gonna lie, this book was incredibly difficult to read. The sections where Karly's injuries and abuse are described still haunt me. I almost stopped a couple times because I started to sob. But I felt compelled to finish, all thanks to Ms. Spears Zacharias’ incredible book.

A Silence of Mockingbirds is the story of little Karly Sheehan, a four year-old who dies while in the care of her mother’s boyfriend. But what makes this story unusual is that the author knows the mother, had seen her grown up, even lived with her for a time. The book follows Ms. Spears Zacharias as she tries to piece everything together and figure out what exactly happened that made everyone fail Karly so horribly.

This book will rip your heart out. Much as I love true crime books, anything involving the abuse of children really gets to me. Makes me sick, actually. So if you’re adverse to those kinds of stories, do not pick this book up.

It’s tough to get through, it’s hard to imagine, but A Silence of Mockingbirds is a worthwhile read if you think you can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment