Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Star is Born



Skinnydipping
Bethenny Frankel
Fiction

Where to start with this hot mess? How about why I even bothered to pick it up in the first place. Of course, I can’t recall now but I assume I read a semi-good review of it somewhere and decided to to put it on my list, despite the fact that the “author” is Bethenny Frankel of the Real Housewives of New York fame.

Skinnydipping is the story of Faith, a young college grad from NYC determined to make it as an actress in LA. She moves out there and after a series of humiliating ups and downs (both personal and professional), decides to move back to New York. Then, while in the middle of launching a new vegan muffin business, she’s picked to be on an Apprentince-style show and battles it out with eleven other hopefuls to get her business to be taken seriously. Along the way she falls in love.

First of all, as you all know, I loathe reality shows. So I was none too pleased when I got to the second part of the book and realized Faith would be competing on a reality show. Can you say boring? I can. The name-dropping and showbiz stuff in LA didn’t thrill me, either. And Faith wasn’t all that interesting of a character. She was obsessed with why her parents didn’t love her and being skinny and dieting (gee, that sounds an awful lot like the author’s life). There was just too much stuff going on and too many people and plotlines fading in and out.

If you’re looking for a trashy beach read, this novel’s for you. Otherwise, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment