Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Running in Circles

The Year of the Gadfly
Jennifer Miller
Fiction

I don’t quite know what I think about this book. I almost put it down at least four times but I kept slogging on because I wanted to know what the big secret was and how everyone was connected. I guess that’s a good sign, right?

The Year of the Gadfly is the story of Iris, a teenager who moves to a new town because her best friend commited suicide and her parents are worried about her. Iris starts school at Mariana, an intense institution filled with lots of history and secrets. When she realizes her biology teacher, Jonah, is linked to the woman who used to live in the house Iris’ parents are renting, she starts connecting the dots with an underground society of rogue journalists who are tormenting the school.

If that plot summary sounded confusing, imagine what reading the book is like! Okay, it’s really not that confusing once you get into it but there are so many characters and when the book jumps back and forth in time so much, it makes your head hurt a bit. Ms. Miller is a good writer who made me like Iris and Jonah and root for them to come out on top. But despite all the intrigue and drama, I wasn’t as invested in this book as I would’ve preferred. Oh, well. You can’t win them all.

I would recommend Year of the Gadfly to anyone looking for a good mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment