Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Green Acres

Rurally Screwed: My Life Off the Grid With the Cowboy I Love
Jessie Knadler
Memoir

Back when I used to work at a bookstore, we would get these things called galleys. Galleys were early editions of books that were going to be released soon, and everyone grabbed whatever looked interesting from a huge stack in the owner’s office. One time I grabbed The Pioneer Woman memoir, thinking it would be interesting. I was wrong. Oh, so wrong. So when I saw this book I had an uneasy flashback to PW, but prayed this would be better. Thankfully, it was.

Rurally Screwed is the story of Jessie, a magazine writer living in New York. After finally quitting her soul-sucking job, she starts doing freelance for an outdoor magazine that sends her back to her home state of Montana to report on a rodeo. It’s there that she meets Jake, a real, honest-to-goodness cowboy. They quickly start an affair that eventually leads to marriage and to Jessie agreeing to move to Lexington, Virginia, a small farming town. Jessie helps her husband work on the farm, raise chickens, and learns to cook. But she’s not entirely happy and when her emotions all come to a head, Jessie finds her marriage in serious peril.

Ms. Knadler is pretty hilarious (she also has a blog, which is not surprising) and her descriptions are spot-on and intriguing. I’ve always thought it would be cool to live on a farm. Now I realize it’s a lot of hard effing work. I also enjoyed the story of her marriage, the realistic ups and downs of marrying someone who is the complete opposite of you and readjusting your whole life to be with them.

Rurally Screwed is a great book and I recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment