Friday, August 31, 2012

Tokyo Girl

People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished From the Streets of Tokyo - and the Evil That Swallowed Her Up
Richard Lloyd Perry
True Crime

I love true crime books. When I first discovered Ann Rule (who I highly recommend, by the way), I spent the next year devouring all of her titles. So when I spotted the strange cover of this book and noticed it was about a young woman who vanishes in Tokyo, I knew I had to read it.

People Who Eat Darkness is the story of Lucie Blackman, a twenty-one year old British flight attendant who quits her job in the UK to go to Tokyo with her best friend and make money to pay off her debts. The two girls get jobs hostessing at a nightclub near their apartment. One day, Lucie tells her roommate she’s going to meet a man she met at the club. Lucie never comes home and it’s a race against time as the Japanese police, Lucie’s family, and her friends rush to find her before it’s too late. I’m gonna go ahead and spoil the plot and let you know that she is found, dismembered in a bathtub, and they catch the guy who did it.

This is a great book. Mr. Perry gets to know Lucie and her killer intimately, so by the time all the details come together, a vivid portrait of what really happened is clear. It’s a sad, sometimes disgusting tale, but Mr. Perry is such a good writer that I could not put this book down until the last page.

Anyone who enjoys true crime will like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment