Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Walk This Way

Women From the Ankle Down: The Story of Shoes and How They Define Us
Rachelle Bergstein
History

What woman doesn’t love shoes? Okay, that’s a bit of a stereotype, but pretty much every female I know gets a sparkle in their eye when they walk into a shoe store. I know I do (DSW, how I love you). So when I saw this book about the history of shoes and women, I thought it might be interesting. And I was right! I love being right.

Rachelle Bergstein tackles one specific shoe per chapter, starting with the wartime wedge circa 1900-1938 and ending with ruby slippers (2000-present). I was slightly skeptical about how good this book could be because as much as I love shoes, the best part is being able to see them. But I must give Ms. Bergstein credit because I ended up reading this in one day. All the Hollywood shoe anecdotes were great, as were the stories of how some of the most famous shoes in the world came to be (the story of Mary Janes I found particularly fascinating).

Women From the Ankle Down is a quick, easy read that any shoe lover will enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment