Monday, August 13, 2012

Save the Drama For Your Mama

A Surrey State of Affairs
Ceri Radford
Fiction

Oh my god, this book is hilarious. I read it in one day, that’s how good it is.

A Surrey State of Affairs begins with Constance Harding, an Englishwoman in her fifties who lives near Surrey, trying out the first entry of her new blog. The story’s in diary format, starting in January and ending in December. And what a year it is for Constance. So many things happen in her life I can’t even begin to describe them all, but here’s a sampler: son who won’t find a girlfriend, daughter who’s keeping some really big secrets, and a husband who’s keeping an even bigger secret than she could ever imagine. Not to mention all of Constance’s drama with her neighbors, friends, and fellow towns people.

Constance is just a delightful character. Several of her observations made me smile, a few actually made me laugh out loud. She’s not perfect and her stubbornness is frustrating at times, but who wants a perfect character? Not me. I’m also not usually a fan of the diary-format books, but I make an exception for this one, and you should, too.

Everyone should read this book. Just don’t drink anything while you are, because I guarantee liquid will come shooting out of your nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment