Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Let The Sunshine In

A Safeway in Arizona: What the Gabrielle Giffords Shooting Tells Us About the Grand Canyon State and Life in America
Tom Zoellner
Political/History

I’m a born and raised Arizonan, which is pretty strange because it’s actually quite rare these days to find someone living here who was born here. Initially, I wasn’t going to read this book, mainly because I really didn’t think there was much to say about the tragic shooting in Tucson. But then I read the rest of the title and thought, huh, I’d like to know what the shooting tells us about my state. Nothing good, as you can probably guess.

Mr. Zoellner is a newspaper writer who grew up in Tucson and a friend of Gabrielle Giffords, so the subject of this book hit home for him. He weaves the story of everything leading up to the shooting between hot-button topics such as gun control and illegal immigration. I guess I’ve been living in the dark because there are quite a few things I didn’t know about my state. Honestly, if I read this and I was living somewhere else, no way would I want to move to AZ. This book certainly doesn’t do much for the Arizona tourism industry.

A Safeway in Arizona is a fascinating book, especially if you live here. If you don’t, read it anyway because Mr. Zoellner makes a lot of good points about the sorry state of Arizona, and most of the US, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment