Friday, August 17, 2012

Your Love is My Drug

Sweet Talk
Julie Garwood
Romance

I adore Julie Garwood. She was the first romance author I fell in love with (pun intended). The Bride is still one of my top five, all-time favorite romance novels ever. So I was quite disappointed when she started writing thriller/adventure novels instead of just plain romance. But that hasn’t stopped me from picking up a book with her name on it.

In Sweet Talk, we meet Olivia, who works for the IRS. She’s also trying to take down her father, who she knows has been stealing money from his clients and own family. Ever since her childhood battle with cancer, Olivia’s used to being strong and taking care of things by herself. But when a potential job interview goes bad, Grayson walks into her life. He works for the FBI and finds himself protecting Olivia far more than is necessary. The sparks fly between the two and they must work together to figure out why someone is trying to kill Olivia while at the same time nailing her father.

I really liked this one because there was a good amount of intrigue and romance. Plus I loved all the family drama. The best conflict comes from familial relations, I think. Not only did I enjoy Olivia and Grayson’s love story, but I also liked how by the end of the novel, Olivia’s awful family (parents and sister) stayed awful. There was no last-minute turn around for them, no sudden change of heart. They were heinous from beginning to end. While sad on one hand, I liked the realism of it on the other.

Ms. Garwood creates great characters and wonderful dialogue. I highly recommend all her books, especially her earlier ones (pick up The Bride, The Gift, and The Wedding today, if you haven’t read them).

No comments:

Post a Comment