Sunday, August 12, 2012

As The Worlds Turn

Other Waters
Eleni N. Gage
Fiction

Anyone else sad about the state of daytime soaps these days? I used to watch As The World Turns, Guiding Light, and All My Children. I used to want to write for them all one day. And now they’re all gone. It’s so depressing.

Other Waters is about Maya, a woman torn between two worlds. She’s Indian and lives in New York, working as a successful psychiatric resident. But seven years into her relationship with her white boyfriend, she’s still unable to tell her parents she loves someone outside their culture. Then her grandmother dies and someone puts a curse on the family. Bad things start happening to the people Maya loves, and when she travels to India for a wedding, she realizes just how divided between her two lives she really is.

I enjoyed this book. It didn’t draw me in as much as I would’ve liked, but Maya was an interesting character, as well as all her friends and family. There were way too many paragraphs of summary, though. I did a lot of skimming. I was also surprised by the fact that I didn’t mind the end. Usually in single woman stories, the protagonist ends up finding the guy who looks to be her soul mate by the end. But Maya didn’t. And I was actually okay with that.

I would recommend Other Waters, especially to anyone torn between two cultures.


No comments:

Post a Comment