Sunday, August 26, 2012

This Land is Our Land

Some of My Best Friends Are Black: The Strange Story of Integration in America
Tanner Colby
History

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked this book up. All I knew was that it had gotten good reviews and that’s enough for me. I did not think I would be sucked in to Mr. Colby’s world so viciously.

Some of My Best Friends Are Black is mostly history with a little bit of memoir thrown in. The book begins with the author realizing he has no black friends and, considering he grew up in the South, wonders why that is. He sets out to find out and learn about the sordid and sometimes surprising history of segregation in the good ol’ U S of A.

Mr. Colby is an excellent writer and highlights some complex issues still facing America today. Jim Crow laws are long gone, so why are some areas still so segregated? Why are some not? And how did they all get this way? I won’t answer these questions because I want you to read the book to find out.

Some of My Best Friends Are Black is an important book for everyone to read, no matter what color your skin is.

No comments:

Post a Comment