Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

The Land of Decoration
Grace McCleen
Fiction

Wow. My mind is blown. This book is…I don’t even have words for it, actually.

The Land of Decoration is about ten year-old Judith. She lives in a small town in England with her father. She’s not friends with anyone at school because she and her father are part of this odd religious group that preaches how the end of the world is coming. Judith has created her own little Land of Decoration, a dollhouse of sorts modeled after what’s going to happen when the world ends. After reaching her breaking point with the taunts from children at school one day, she starts to hear God’s voice and realizes she has the power to control her destiny and everyone else’s.

This book has so many crazy twists and turns it made my head spin. First I thought Judith was just weird, and then I thought she had magical powers, then I thought she was mentally ill because she was talking to God and he was responding. Yet I was on the edge of my seat throughout every chapter, and I could not stop reading. Ms. McCleen is a great writer and I give her credit because if Judith wasn’t such a wonderful character, I definitely would not have kept reading.

The Land of Decoration is bizarre. In a good way. I highly recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment