Monday, August 27, 2012

Sister Sister

The Gilly Salt Sisters
Tiffany Baker
Fiction

I’m a sucker for any book about sisters (because I know first-hand that there is nothing more strange or wonderful than the relationship between two sisters), so when I read this book’s intriguing description, I put it in my bag. The cool cover didn’t hurt, either.

The Gilly Salt Sisters is about Jo and Claire, two sisters who’ve grown up in a small town, working the salt marshes on their mother’s land. Claire’s always hated the salt while Jo has always known it’s her destiny, but the discovery of one scandalous letter sets into motion a chain of events that changes everything for both of them. Years later, Claire and Jo are estranged while Jo continues to work the struggling salt farm and Claire relishes her role as first lady of the town thanks to her marriage to Jo’s childhood sweetheart, Whit. Then the teenage daughter of the new diner’s owner finds herself drawn into Whit, Jo, and Claire’s strange world and everyone’s lives are thrown into turmoil again.

Whew. That’s a lot of description without giving too much away. I really enjoyed Claire and Jo, and I especially loved their relationship. They were both right and both wrong; both had their faults and their sympathetic sides. My only minor complaint would be that I wanted the resolution of Claire’s love story. By the end of the book, it appeared that Claire and Ethan were finished with each other, and then the next chapter skips forward in time and they’re married! What the hell, Ms. Baker. There’s nothing better than the moment two people realize they can’t live without each other.

Despite that minor complaint, The Gilly Salt Sisters is a great book full of twists and turns and wonderful characters. I recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment