Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sins of the Mother

The Reeducation of Cherry Truong
Aimee Phan
Fiction

My 100th post! This is so exciting. I wish I had something special to write or post, but I don't. Too busy reading, you know. And I hope I'll never be too busy not to read.

I almost put this book down permanently a few times, but now I’m glad I stuck with it until the end because it was pretty good.

The Reeducation of Cherry Truong (that’s quite a mouthful, isn’t it?) is about a woman named Cherry who lives with her brother and parents in California. When her brother is sent back to Vietnam after Cherry has an accident, she follows him and finally learns more about her sordid family history. This book is supposed to be about Cherry but we actually hear from a lot of different family members, so I thought the title was a little off.

I was also annoyed by how many characters I had to remember. I suppose I should’ve realized what I was in for when I saw the family tree at the beginning of the book. Still, it got old reading someone’s name and wondering who they were and how they related to everyone else. I wish I could say I had every person and their connection figured out by the end of the book, but that would be a lie.

This novel is a juicy read and Ms. Phan is a great writer. Anyone who loves books about family history and scandals will love The Reeducation of Cherry Truong.

No comments:

Post a Comment