Friday, August 3, 2012

Fight to the Finish

In Spite of Everything
Susan Gregory Thomas
Memoir

Why do I like reading memoirs about marriage so much when I’m not married, much less dating anyone? It’s one of life’s great mysteries, I guess.

In Spite of Everything is about Ms. Gregory Thomas, who, after going through a traumatizing time when her own parents divorced, vows that she will never divorce. And then, ten years into her marriage, realizes she cannot stay in her marriage. It’s an interesting premise, but unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to sustain the book.

I just could not get into this. I wanted to, and I really loved the descriptions of when exactly the faults in the relationship started (they were there right from the beginning, apparently, but neither the author nor her husband wanted to see them). The writing was good, a little too flowy and dense at times, though. This would be a better review if I could put my finger on why I didn’t like In Spite of Everything. I guess in spite of everything, I just can’t say (sorry, couldn’t resist).

Would I recommend this book? I’m not sure. Like I said, the subject’s fascinating and the writing is adequate. It was just missing something. So, no. I would not recommend this book. There are better memoirs out there about marriages unraveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment