Wednesday, August 22, 2012

RSVP

The Invitation
Anne Cherian
Fiction

This book is a quick read. In some ways that’s a good thing, in other ways, it’s a bad thing.

The Invitation is about a group of friends who reunite for one of their sons’ graduation from MIT. We follow Frances, Jay, Lali, and Vik, who all became friends during graduate school at UCLA. Now their lives have taken them on separate paths but there are surprises in store when they come together the night of the party.

All the characters were interesting enough, but I found the ending to be a bit of a letdown. What happened was slightly shocking, but I wanted more drama. I mean, these people had all sorts of dirty little secrets but not many of them really came out. Also, there was way too much back story. Not enough of the action took place in the present. I hate flashbacks, so I had to grit my teeth to get through a lot of this novel.

I would recommend this book as long as you’re okay with tons of exposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment