Thursday, August 9, 2012

This Is How We Do It

Ethical Chic: The Inside Story of the Companies We Think We Love
Fran Hawthorne
Business

I’ll be honest, I was a little afraid to read this book. I still hate hearing that L'oreal tests on animals (I love their face wash and eyeshadows so much) and I did not want to know about another company I liked having horrible ethical standards. But this book wasn’t that bad, actually. By that I mean it was good and informative and definitely opened my eyes about certain things.

In Ethical Chic, Ms. Hawthorne tackles six popular companies and investigates how they measure up when it comes to being green, treating employees well, how and if they use animals, and how the company deals with the public (open or secretive). This book is short and sweet—well, not so sweet if you’re a lover of American Apparel or Apple. To be fair, she has negative reports about all the companies but there are upsides as well. I was most disappointed to read that my beloved Trader Joe’s is owned by a giant conglomerate and that they are not as green and special as they claim they are.

Everyone should read this book and start their own investigations on the companies they love. You might not like what you find.

No comments:

Post a Comment