Saturday, August 4, 2012

I Want Candy

Sweet Tooth: The Bittersweet History of Candy
Kate Hopkins
History

I am 28 years old and I love candy. There, I said it. Candy is supposed to be loved by children, not adults, but I am not ashamed to admit that I still glance longingly at Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Milkyway bars, and Sour Patch Kids. Of course, now that I am an adult I know that eating candy for every meal is not a good idea, so I’ve scaled back on how much I consume quite a bit. But my love for candy has never faded. So you can imagine how much my candy craving started spiraling out of control while reading this book.

In the beginning of Sweet Tooth, Kate Hopkins is pondering why she loves candy so much when she decides it’s time to look more deeply into the history of her favorite food. She picks several locales to go visit and get more information on how candy came to be so popular. She visits Italy, Scotland, England and then finally comes back to the US. I especially enjoyed her thoughts and descriptions of candy in Europe because I have found that candy over there is so much better than the crap we have here.

Ms. Hopkins combines a good amount of history and humor, and her writing style goes down a treat (pun intended). I especially enjoyed the little sidebars where she gives more history and info on specific treats such licorice (yuck) and candy corn (yum!).

If you’re a sweet freak you’ll love this book but be aware that you will want to go out and raid the grocery store candy aisle when you are finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment