Sunday, August 5, 2012

Expect the Unexpected

A Gift For My Sister
Ann Pearlman
Fiction

I cried more than once during this book. A general rule of mine is that I try not to read books that are going to make me cry because I hate being sad. But the flip side to that is that I cry so rarely that when a book does manage to make me tear up, I know it’s a good one.

A Gift For My Sister is about Sky and Tara, two half sisters who have always been at odds with each other. Now, though, Tara is a singer in a popular rap group and Sky works as a lawyer part time and takes care of her husband and young daughter. Then Sky’s husband abruptly dies. Crying moment number one. Tara must help pick up the pieces of her older sister’s life all the while struggling with insecurities in her relationship with her boyfriend. Many more crying moments follow, as you can imagine. I was horrified when Sky’s husband died because I was so not expecting that and I could tell he was going to and I kept praying that I was wrong (the description of the book on the jacket gives the reader no clue about this tragic turn of events).

I loved all the characters and the dialogue was great. My only tiny problem would be that I think the book should end earlier than it does. The last few chapters seem unnecessary. But the relationship between Tara and Sky is the real star of the book. The horrific and wonderful sisterly moments are amazing and so real, I was actually shocked when I read the acknowledgements section and found out Ms. Pearlman doesn’t even have a sister!

I would recommend this great book to everyone, not just sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment