Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Daddy Dearest

Outside the Lines
Amy Hatvany
Fiction

I loved this book. It’s all about love and family drama, my two favorite things.

Outside the Lines is the story of Eden and her father, David. David’s a mentally ill painter, struggling to keep his wife and daughter happy while battling his inner demons. After finding him on the bathroom floor, bleeding from the wrists, ten year-old Eden loses her father for good when her mom divorces him and he disappears from her life. Years later and now a successful chef, Eden sets out to find the father she’s been missing so terribly and help him get his life back on track. But does he want her help? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

All the characters were great. Eden and David, especially. I was impressed with how sympathetic and real Ms. Hatvany made David. It can’t be easy to write from the viewpoint of a mentally ill person. Usually first person/third person POV switches annoy me, but not this time. Maybe because I found the plot so interesting. I was a little afraid the book would have a dark ending, but it didn’t. It’s not a puppies-and-rainbows ending, either. Just a good, satisfying conclusion to Eden and David’s story.

Outside the Lines is a great book and I would recommend it to everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment