Thursday, July 12, 2012

You Give Love a Bad Name

The Cove
Ron Rash
Fiction

I finished this book last night and I’m still not quite sure how I feel about it.
There wasn’t enough dialogue, there were way too many long paragraphs full of boring descriptions, and the ending sucked. Yet…I kept reading. Luckily for Ron Rash, I fell in love with Laurel, the main character.

The Cove is about Laurel, a woman who lives near a cove on the outskirts of her small town. Because of a weird birthmark, people in town think she’s a witch and everyone shuns her except for a select few. Her parents are dead and her brother has just returned from World War I. Then she finds a stranger in the cove, a mute stranger. She nurses him back to health (he’s been stung by dozens of wasps) and he stays on with Laurel and her brother, helping out around their property. Laurel finds herself drawn to this man and falling in love with him until one day she discovers his secret and her life is turned upside down.

About halfway through the book I could tell it wasn’t going to end well, but I forced myself to read on because I liked Laurel so much and wanted to see her have a happy ending after enduring such trauma. And of course, she didn’t get her happy ending. I wish there were more novels with happy endings. I know real life isn’t always like that, but damn. Sometimes I want to pretend it is.

If you don’t mind super long paragraphs, quite a few awful characters and a crappy ending, you should pick up this book. Otherwise, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment