Sunday, July 29, 2012

What Do You Want From Me

Ménage
Alix Kates Shulman
Fiction

What the hell? That’s pretty much all I have to say about this book. Not much of it made sense, I didn’t like any of the characters, and most of the time I had no idea what I was reading.

I thought Ménage was about three people caught up in a love triangle. But it’s not. At all. During the first few pages, we are introduced to Zoltan, Heather, and Mack. Zoltan is an author desperate for another best-seller. Mack’s a rich guy who sees a great opportunity when he meets Zoltan and invites him to come live with him and his wife, Heather, at their opulent home to get some work done. Heather is also a writer, and is excited when Zoltan arrives, especially because she finds herself attracted to him and believes he wants her, too. Except he doesn’t. Then things get weird. Very weird. The end is very much a “huh?” moment.

There was no romance in this novel and all the characters suck. Zoltan’s a tool and Heather is just…well, she’s kind of a psychopath. I suppose there’s nothing really wrong with Mack, but he’s not exactly a great guy. They’re all pretty loathsome. Who wants to read a book about loathsome people? Not me.

If you’re interested in a story about enjoyable dysfunctional people, pick up The Hypnotist’s Love Story, not Ménage.

No comments:

Post a Comment