Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Picture Perfect

Grace
T. Greenwood
Fiction

My post title is totally giving me flashbacks. Anyone else remember the Jennifer Aniston rom-com Picture Perfect? It came out in the nineties. Co-starred Jay Mohr. I loved that movie.

This book will make you tear up. A lot. Many, many traumatizing things happen. One of the plots involves bullying. I don’t know why, but I cannot stand reading about kids being bullied. Maybe because I’m aware of how far too often it actually does happen in real life. But don’t let that deter you from reading Grace. It’s a good book.

Grace is about the Kennedy family. They’re having a few problems. Son Trevor is being bullied at school and has no friends. Mom Elsbeth is a kleptomaniac who loves her baby girl more than her accidental-pregnancy-at-seventeen son. Father Kurt is unhappy with his job, his father, and his life in general. Then there’s Crystal, a store clerk who watches Elsbeth and knows what she’s doing. But when Trevor starts taking pictures with a new camera, things take an even darker turn for everybody.

Ms. Greenwood is a great author. I loved her other book, Two Rivers, and that’s why I picked this one up. She makes you feel for her characters and want everything to turn out okay for them. This book has some bleak themes, and I was a little scared of how it might end, but I’m gonna spoil things a little by letting you all know that nothing too horrible happens.

Grace is a great book and I would recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment