Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ready to Mingle

The Singles
Meredith Goldstein
Fiction

I did not like this book. I wanted to. I had myself all set for a chick-litty novel about a bunch of single people congregating at a wedding. There’s a lot of humor in that situation. But while certain parts were funny, I just could not get into it. By the middle of the book, I was skimming.

The Singles is about a group of single people invited to the wedding of one Bee Evans. We have Hannah, Rob, Phil, Vicki, and Joe. The various ways in which they know her and each other is quite interesting and of course, when they gather together, emotions run high, harsh words are said, and mistakes are made.

I don’t think I liked one character in this book. They were all fairly vile and did bad things. I wasn’t rooting for anyone. Well, maybe Hannah, a little. But Rob, her supposed love interest? What a tool. He was not redeemed for me by the end, and the vague ending with a question mark over the two of them left me nashing my teeth. Not to mention the dead pet storyline, another pet (no pun intended) peeve of mine. I hate reading about pets dying, there is no entertainment value in that. I love animals and do not want to be reminded that my own dogs will one day not exist, thank you.

Based on my review and how dark and depressing The Singles is, I suppose it can’t really be called chick lit. So if you’re looking for a light, fun read, do not pick this up. Don’t pick it up at all, in fact. You can find something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment