Monday, July 2, 2012

Middle of Nowhere

Welcome to Utopia: Notes From a Small Town
Karen Valby
Travel

Anyone (besides my sister, of course) know the album from which I borrowed this blog post title? Bonus points if you do. If you don’t, read my review and at the end I’ll tell you.

Welcome to Utopia is Entertainment Weekly writer Karen Valby’s account of a small town in Texas. Now if you re-read that sentence, you’re probably thinking, so? There are lots of small towns in America. Why would I care about this one? Well, by the end of the book, you will. Valby does an excellent job following several Utopians as they go about their lives during the course of a year. There’s the group of old timers who’ve been around as long as the town, the high school students who want to get out and see the world and the ones who just want to stay and not rock the boat, and plenty of others. Ms. Valby does an excellent job describing the town and the people and she draws you into their stories so completely, I almost wanted to visit Utopia (I said almost—it is in the middle of nowhere in Texas, you know).

I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes reading about small towns and even if you don’t, you’ll want to read about this one.

Middle of Nowhere is the the title of Hanson’s first album.

No comments:

Post a Comment