Saturday, July 28, 2012

Somebody's Watching Me

The Hypnotist’s Love Story
Liane Moriarty
Fiction

This book is awesome. It sucks you in right from the first page. I read it in two days because every time I had to put it down, I couldn’t wait to pick it back up again and keep reading. I can’t believe I got through such a long book so quickly. That’s the power of a good author.

The Hypnotist’s Love Story is about Ellen and Saskia. Ellen is a hypnotherapist and has just recently started dating a man named Patrick. The book begins on their fourth date when he admits that he has a stalker, his ex-girlfriend, Saskia. Ellen is intrigued and wants to know more, but quickly realizes how creepy it is dating a man who has a stalker, especially when she discovers that Saskia has been pretending to be a patient to worm her way even deeper into Ellen and Patrick’s lives. Things take an even weirder turn when Ellen finds out she’s pregnant and she starts to empathize with Saskia...I won’t say any more so as not to spoil the rest. Needless to say, most of the plot twists shocked me. But in a good way.

I can’t say enough great things about Liane Moriarty. All her characters are flawed yet sympathetic. I alternated between pity and loathing for Saskia, and by the end of the book I was actually rooting for her a little bit. The dialogue is great and I loved all the plot twists. My only minor complaint would be that I didn’t like the fact that Ellen’s POV was third person and Saskia’s was first. But other than that, I loved this book.

I would recommend The Hypnotist’s Love Story to anyone and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment