Friday, July 6, 2012

Making a Mess

Keepsake
Kristina Riggle
Fiction

There is nothing better than discovering a new author via browsing the selection of new books at your local library. That’s how I came upon Ms. Riggle’s new book, and you can be sure I’m writing down her previous books on my must-read list.

Keepsake is the story of Trish and Mary (the book alternates first person POV chapters between the two). Trish has two sons, an ex-husband, and a house overflowing with clutter. So much clutter that a bureau fell on her six-year old and sent him to the hospital. Now a social worker is on her case and if Trish can’t keep her hoarding in check, she’ll lose her child. This is the last straw for her teenager, who drives a few hours away to visit Mary and ask if she’ll help mom clean. Mary and Trish are estranged, and have been ever since their mother (also a hoarder) died. But her nephews need her, so Mary goes, hoping maybe she and Trish can get back the relationship they once had.

This book totally sucks you in. I read it in one night, that’s how good it is. Both Trish and Mary are fully fleshed-out characters. Trish’s stubborn denial and resentment of her sister made me dislike her one minute, then soften towards her the next when she revealed how much their childhood still tormented her. Mary is also a pain one minute then sympathetic the next. Real, human emotions. All the characters are great, actually. And the plot is so interesting, you will not want to put this down.

I highly recommend Keepsake, and I’m sure I’ll recommend Ms. Riggle’s other books once I get my hands on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment