Saturday, July 7, 2012

Now Watch This

Top of the Rock: Inside the Rise and Fall of Must See TV
Warren Littlefield
Pop Culture

Did anyone else watch all the shows on NBC on Thursdays? Well, you must’ve because for awhile, NBC was at the top with Friends, ER, Will & Grace, Seinfeld…the list goes on and on. But eventually their glory faded, all those shows went off the air, and Thursday nights just ain’t what they used to be (even The Office has gone downhill).

I picked this book up because I’m always interested in knowing the behind-the-scenes gossip of TV shows. TV networks, however, I’d never read a book about and a small part of me always fantasized about maybe one day moving to LA and trying to become a TV writer (then I snapped back to reality).

Top of the Rock is broken up into sections pertaining to certain hit shows, which I enjoyed. I never watched or cared about Cheers or ER or Mad About You, so I could’ve happily skipped those sections if I wanted to, but I actually did read them because the process that goes into making a TV show and putting it on air is absolutely fascinating to me. My only nitpick was the format, though I suppose this book could not have been done any other way. We get the person’s name and then what they thought. So it’s almost in script form. It’s a hard way to read at first, but I eventually, reluctantly, got used to it.

Anyone who adored the great NBC shows of yore will like this book. It’s a quick read and easy to skip around. You really couldn’t ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment