Friday, July 27, 2012

The Grand Tetons

Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History
Florence Williams
Health

Another book that scared me. But I guess it’s good to be scared out of complacency every once and awhile, right?

Breasts is about, of course, breasts. Ms. Williams discusses breast implants, why we have breasts, breast-feeding, and breast cancer. She goes into great detail in each chapter, meeting with scientists and researchers and sorting out all the facts and data to make this book very easy to read.

I’ll admit, though, that I skimmed over the chapters about breast-feeding. I don’t have kids yet, so it’s not pertinent to me. I did read with horror the chapters about how using birth control can up a woman’s chances of breast cancer. Glad I know this now, after being on the Pill for ten years. Lordy. The most interesting section to me was the one about breast implants and the different technology that has evolved over the years, not to mention how many women still get them. I can’t even imagine sticking a silicone bag into my boobs. Urgh, no thank you.

This book mainly pertains to women, and I highly recommend it because you will definitely learn stuff you didn’t know. But there's also a chapter about breast cancer in men, so go ahead, guys, you can pick this one up, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment