Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Help, I Need Somebody

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life From Dear Sugar
Cheryl Strayed
Psychology

I didn’t know what category to list this book under. It’s a bunch of advice columns. But it’s also more than advice columns. This isn’t your typical Dear Abby stuff. Some of Ms. Strayed’s responses veered into mini essays!

There’s no particular order of topics, just a random collection of people asking for advice. The twist is that instead of being objective like Abby and millions of other advice columnists, Ms. Strayed injects her own life experiences into her answers. One question she begins by answering that her grandfather made her jack him off for three years starting when she was three. I’m pretty sure I stopped and stared at the page for a good minute when I read that. You won’t see a response like that in Dear Abby.

The nice thing about this book is you can skip the questions that aren’t interesting. But even when I skipped them (and there were only a few), I still skimmed her answer because she gives a lot of info. About a whole lot of stuff. Frankly, I admire her for totally and completely putting every part of her self out there. Not many people do that. I certainly wouldn’t.

 I think there’s something for everyone in this book. I encourage you to pick it up. It will make you smile, laugh, and cry. And not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment