Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Live and Let Die

Losing Clementine
Ashley Ream
Fiction

 I’m not gonna lie: this book is depressing. And I almost put it down when I realized just how dark it was going to be. But Ashley Ream is such a good writer that I had to keep reading.

Losing Clementine is about a critically-acclaimed painter named, of course, Clementine. She’s struggled with depression her whole life and been on all sorts of meds. She finally decides it’s time to get off the medications and put everyone, and herself, out of her misery. She gives herself thirty days to figure out what to do (who to send her cat to live with, where her paintings should go, buy drugs to inject herself with to commit suicide, etc.). Each chapter is a day, staring at 30 and ending at 1. I won’t spoil what happens on day one, but needless to say, I was surprised. In a good way.

Books about depression and suicide are typically not my thing, but like I said before, Ashley Ream is an awesome writer so I held on until the end. Not entirely because of Clementine, though. I understand she’s going through a lot of horrible things, but most of the time I found her unsympathetic. But I liked other characters, so I hung in there.

I would recommend this book. It tackles serious topics with humor and aplomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment