Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Communication Breakdown



There Goes the Bride
Holly McQueen
Fiction

Another mixed feelings book. I liked it, but I didn’t like it.

There Goes the Bride is about Polly, who, confusing everyone in her life, decides to call off her wedding two weeks before the event. Her sister and best friend can’t understand why Polly’s done this, and as the called-off-date approaches, everyone tries to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first. Too many pop-culture references. One character refers to herself as Blair Waldorf, for goodness sake. Then we have my main pet peeve, which is Polly’s unbelievably lame reason for calling off the wedding. It was just…I could hardly believe it when I read it. 

Onto the good stuff. I liked all the characters and wanted to see how they would end up. The ending was kind to them all. The story also moved fast and the pacing was just right.

If you’re looking for a new chick lit author to fall in love with, this book’s for you. Otherwise, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment