Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Taking Care of Business

The Exceptions
David Cristofano
Fiction

Wow. At first, when I realized this book was about a hitman stalking his prey, I almost put it down. But the characters sucked me in and I actually finished this book in one day. That is some speed reading, people.

The Exceptions is about Jonathan Bovaro. The Bovaros are a well-known mob family and when Jonathan is ten, he witnesses a family witness his father killing a man. The mob goes after the family and manages to kill the parents but not the daughter. Jonathan is assigned to take care of her, but he finds he can’t do it. He’s drawn to Melody and spends the next several years stalking her as she’s moved around the country by Witness Protection. Jonathan’s father finally decides enough is enough and she must be killed. So Jonathan “kidnaps” Melody and tells her he wants to help her. Then they fall in love. But how can this romance possibly have a happy ending?

I was quite shocked at the fact that I found myself rooting for Jonathan and Melody, but Mr. Cristofano has a gift for creating extremely relatable characters. The book is told from first person, Jonathan’s POV, and the reader really gets into his head and actually starts to feel sorry for a guy working for the mafia. There are lots of twists and turns towards the end, and I was afraid I’d close the book feeling depressed, but I didn’t.

The Exceptions is a great book that will keep you reading long past your bedtime. I highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment