Friday, October 19, 2012

Who Are You

Tell the Wolves I’m Home
Carol Rifka Brunt
Fiction

Despite the weird title, this is a pretty good book. It gets a bit bogged down towards the end, but I definitely wanted to finish it.

Fourteen-year-old June is still grieving the loss of her beloved uncle Finn to AIDS when his boyfriend, Toby, appears in her life. Finn kept Toby a secret but now Toby wants to get to know June so they can both remember Finn. Reluctant at first because her mother has shunned him, June eventually thaws and becomes friends with Toby. Meanwhile, her sister Greta is in a downward spiral and June can’t figure out why.

I know this is bad, but I kind of hated Greta. Even when she softened and we understood her behavior towards the end, I still thought she was a bitch. I loved June and Toby, though. Their relationship was the best part of the book. And despite the sad ending, I didn’t close the book feeling devestated. I felt like that was the proper ending.

I would recommend Tell the Wolves I’m Home to everyone. Good writing and good plot combine to make a great novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment