Friday, October 26, 2012

Land of the Free



America, You Sexy Bitch
Michael Ian Black and Meghan McCain
Political

I could usually care less about political books, but when I saw that my fave comedian, Michael Ian Black, had come out with a book about touring the US with Meghan McCain, I knew I needed to read it.

You might think I’d have some sort of strong feeling towards Ms. McCain since she grew up in my homestate and everything, but I do not. I read her book when it came out because I was mildly curious, but I couldn't get into it. She’s a decent writer, however, so I figured this book couldn’t be too bad. And it wasn’t, if you’re really into politics.

Ms. McCain and Mr. Black start talking on Twitter one night about how they should tour the US to talk to different folks about politics and voila! A few months later, they find themsevles awkwardly meeting each other’s families and getting ready to hit the road. She’s a die-hard Republican and he’s a slightly wavering Democrat. It was nice to have the two different points of view all throughout the book, because when I disagreed with something, the other person tended to voice my thought (usually it was Mr. Black). 

If reading about gun control and government spending puts you to sleep, I would skip this book. Otherwise it’s an entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment