Thursday, October 4, 2012

Family Portrait



Tigers in Red Weather
Liza Klaussmann
Fiction

This book is a wild ride. Not a particularly good ride, but once you start, you have to keep going until the end.

Tigers in Red Weather is the story of Nick (Nick is a woman and I almost tossed the book aside when I realized this) and Helena, two cousins who have grown up together on the East coast. Following World War II, Nick married Hughes and Helena found love with Avery in LA. They both had children and for one glorious summer, they all converge on the house Helena and Nick own called Tiger House.

I disliked many, many things about this book. Nick’s name, for one. All the back-and-forth in time, too. It got real confusing, real fast. I need a linear timeline to enjoy a novel. I hated all the characters. Nick was a bitch, Helena was pathetic…I could go on and on but I’ll spare you. I felt like I was reading the final draft of a novel assignment for a college class, if that makes any sense. You know that feeling you get when you’re reading something and there’s so much description and “perfect” dialogue but you don’t feel like you’re seeing the real characters and their actions seem fake? About halfway through I still wasn’t sure I would finish, but then I figured I might as well see how life turned out for all these horrible people.

I would not recommend Tigers in Red Weather. There’s no one to root for and the skipping around in time is annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment