Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Days Go By



This Is How It Ends
Kathleen McMahon
Fiction

Good lord, this was a sad book. I just finished it and I’m still a little teary.

This Is How It Ends is the story of Addie, Bruno, and Hugh. Hugh lives in Ireland and Addie’s his daughter who’s staying with him while he recooperates from a fall. Bruno is a long-lost American cousin (second twice removed or something) who has just lost his job and wants to explore his roots. When he gets to Ireland, as soon as he meets Addie, they fall in love. But then Addie starts experiencing pains in her stomach and I think we can all guess where it goes from there (hint: just reread the title).

I can’t say I really liked anyone in this novel. Maybe Della, Addie’s sister and Hugh’s other daughter. But even she had her moments. I suppose that’s how it is in real life, though, right? No one’s happy or perfect all the time. I loved Lola, Addie’s dog. So I was quite pissed off (spoiler alert) that she drowns in the end! I think. I wasn’t quite sure. I really did love that dog. Anyway, this book is no upper, I’ll tell you that. But Ms. McMahon is a good writer, aside from all the annoying tense changes.

If you like depressing novels, this one’s for you. Otherwise, skip it. Or make sure you read something really uplifting immediately afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment