Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fighter



Mistress of Rome
Kate Quinn
Fiction

If you remember, I read Kate Quinn’s other book, Empress of the Seven Hills. I should’ve read this one first and now I’ve finally gotten around to it.

Mistress of Rome is the story of Thea, a slave girl, and her lover, Arius, a gladiator. They meet, fall in love, and then are torn apart, then finally brought back together again. Of course, a lot of other stuff happens in between but I don’t want to give too much away.

I actually liked this novel better than Empress. I’m thinking it’s because this one was a little more uplifting. Not much more, but the main couple of Mistress was not as tortured as the main couple of Empress. Still, if you’re squeamish about blood and fighting and brutality, I would avoid this book at all costs. I had to skim quite a few times myself. If I were ever given the opportunity to go back in time, I would not chose ancient Rome, that’s for sure.

Kate Quinn is a great writer and for those who enjoy historical novels, you’ll love this one. But if you’re adverse to blood and guts, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment