Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sail Away



The White Pearl
Kate Furnivall
Fiction

Books about war are so depressing, even when they’re fiction. This one tackles World War II and I told myself I shouldn’t read it, but the description on the back piqued my interest.

The White Pearl is the story of Connie, a British housewife who lives with her husband and son in Malaya. She’s shaken when she accidentally runs over a woman in town and then things go from bad to worse when they find out Japan is invading the country. Connie, her husband, son, and a few other friends flee aboard The White Pearl, their ship. People die, gruesome accidents occur, and by the end of her journey, Connie must come to grips with a whole new life.

Like I said, there were a lot of depressing events in this book but Ms. Furnivall is such a good writer you can almost look past them. I did, because I needed to finish and see what happened to everyone. The ending isn't all rainbows and sunshine, either. 

I would recommend The White Pearl to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, but if you hate hearing about the horrors of war and would prefer a happy ending, skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment