Thursday, November 8, 2012

Love Will Keep Us Together



Daughters For a Time
Jennifer Handford
Fiction

First, let me just get out of the way the two little nit-picky things that took me out of this book: the part when the main character thinks about how she has to watch the episodes of a soap opera, Guiding Light, that she’s recorded (GL was canceled in 2009 and I’m pretty sure this book is supposed to be taking place during present day) and then when she makes a crack about having to restock the salad bar at Olive Garden (I'm sad to report that I know Olive Garden most certainly does not have a salad bar). Besides those two errors, this was a decent book. Decent, but not great.

Helen is thirty-five and married, and more than ready to be a mother. But when her infertility causes yet another miscarriage, her husband suggests they try adopting in China. Helen eventually agrees and they travel abroad to get their daughter, Sam. Once back home, Helen’s still adjusting to being a mother when her older sister announces she has the same cancer that killed their mother. Now Helen must be there for her sister and figure out how to keep her family together during this time of crisis.

I was a bit “meh” on this book. While I understood Helen’s motivations and fears, she still bugged me a lot. Also, Helen was terrified of how she’d adjust to being an adoptive mother, but as soon as she gets home, everything seems to be fine. It’s like two different novels patched together: the first is about adopting, the second is about losing her sister. I just thought the story could have flowed better.

For anyone who has adopted, especially overseas, you’ll probably like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment