Friday, June 8, 2012

Tell Me Lies

American Dervish
Ayad Akhtar
Fiction



Dervish: A Muslim (specifically Sufi), religious man who has taken vows of poverty and austerity. There, now you don't have to go Google what a dervish is like I did. You're welcome.

I was not expecting this book to be so good. I love when that happens.

American Dervish is the story of Hayat Shah, a young Muslim whose life is turned upside down when his mother’s best friend and her son come to live with him and his parents in Milwaukee. Hayat grows very attached to Mina, but then she starts dating a family friend and issues with his religion, his parents, and everything he thought he believed in causes turmoil and destruction.

I’ll get my two minor complaints out of the way. One, the stupid framing device. But unlike other novels, just the first and last chapter are set during the present, so it doesn’t end up being too intrusive. Two, there were lots of exclamation points. And italicized words. Once I accepted this fact, though, I found myself pulled into Hayat’s world and quite enjoyed everything I read.

The characters are all great, the storyline is interesting, and Hayat is just a really fascinating narrator. I’m not usually fond of novels told from a child’s POV, but American Dervish was different.

This is a wonerful book that everyone will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment